One of my most popular recipes is my sweet potato and sausage breakfast casserole. I love this dish so much, and it is perfect for feeding large families. Most of the time though I am cooking for just myself. I want to start sharing more recipes with smaller serving sizes because I know I can’t be the only one out there cooking for one! I took my breakfast casserole and cut it way down. This serves two really hungry people, but you can easily cut the recipe in half for one. The breakfast casserole is packed with flavor from the sausage, sweet potatoes, onions and my special ingredient- nutmeg! Nutmeg is a seriously underrated spice. It actually pairs really well with meat.
Who is excited about fall TV? I don’t watch that much television but I got totally sucked into The Blacklist and Agents of Shield last year! Those two plus New Girl, Downton Abbey and Revenge bring my TV show watch list to 5. Maybe that is a lot? I don’t even know. I am the worst for watching shows live though. I always forget when the show is on or forget I’m in the central time zone now, which confuses everything! Anyways I’ve been seeing promos for the new show Gotham and I am super intrigued. I didn’t grow up reading comic books, but I have to say I do love a good comic book movie. Are you looking forward to any new shows? Or excited about your old favorites coming back on?
- 1 tsp bacon fat or ghee
- 2 sweet italian sausage links
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and shredded
- 1 candy onion, shredded
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 2 16-oz mason jars with bacon fat.
- Melt bacon fat in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Break apart and brown sausage in skillet.
- Beat eggs with coconut milk, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Stir in shredded sweet potato, onion and browned sausage.
- Set up a water bath for your mason jars in a 9x9 baking dish. You want the water to sit about 1/2 inch high on your mason jars.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until inside of your casserole is set. Remove from oven and let rest for 2 minutes.
*For a quicker cooking time, you can use 4 8-oz mason jars. Cook for 20-25 minutes. *Tip: You can cook these in the oven for 30 minutes then finish in the microwave for a minute. I know not ideal but works if you are in a pinch for time!