So it’s November… I don’t really know how to come to terms with that considering it has been in the 90s for the past month here in Arizona. With only a few weeks until Thanksgiving, I’ve been trying to finalize my meal. Since I’m staying in Arizona for Thanksgiving, it is just three guys and me for the big meal and none of them eat paleo. Since there are very few turkeys small enough to feed 4, I’ve been thinking up different recipes to use up all the leftover turkey that I know I will have. This turkey, sweet potato and broccoli soup is my paleo version one of my mom’s classic recipes! My mom always made the best meals going up, and I absolutely love taking her recipes and updating them paleo style!
So funny story. Something that I don’t talk about much anymore is the fact I was a terrible cook before starting my blog! Even though my mom was an amazing cook, there was a running joke when I was growing that I would burn down the house if I attempted to cook. Prior to my blog, I was an excellent pasta, quesadilla and cupcake maker! I was oddly good at making cupcakes but really nothing else. I was a notice cooker at best. You might be thinking okay, why does this matter to me? I hate when someone says I can’t cook! Cooking is a skill like any others. I takes practice. Sometimes it takes a lot of practice! I try to make simple recipes that anyone can make! Are some of my recipes more difficult than others? Yes. As my skills have improved, so have my recipes, but I still try to make sure nothing feels out of reach of the home chef. Because at the end of the day that’s what I am. A home chef!
- 2 tbls ghee
- 1 cup chopped broccoli stems + 4 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, diced
- 6 cups chicken broth, divided
- 3 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups sweet potato, chopped
- 1 lb shredded turkey
- In a dutch oven or large stock pot, sauté broccoli stems, celery and onion in ghee for 10 minutes.
- Add in 4 cups of chicken broth and seasoning to pot.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to cream veggies with broth.
- Add in sweet potato, broccoli, and turkey plus 2 more cups of chicken broth to pot.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 5 minutes or until sweet potato are fork tender.
Enjoy this turkey, sweet potato and broccoli soup with leftover Thanksgiving turkey or anytime!