With the holidays just around the corner, the changing seasons have me nostalgic for my family’s holiday recipes. I can’t image Thanksgiving without my mom’s stuffing, apple pie and creamed corn. Growing up and still to this day, my main job has always been to put together the relish tray. This might not seem like an important task, but when you have 30 hungry family members waiting for the turkey to come out of the oven, the relish tray keeps everyone from becoming hangry. I help with more of the Thanksgiving feast now because my cooking skills have improved immensely in the past few years, but I still love doing the relish tray. We always have an assortment of raw veggies, pickles and olives.
My tastebuds have changed from the days when I would only eat black olives if I could first wear them on my fingers. I love all olives from kalamata to green olives stuffed with blue cheese, or my newest discovery castelvetrano olives. Last year when I was picking out olives for Thanksgiving, I stumbled upon castelvetrano olives and instantly fell in love with the semi-sweet and buttery flavor. I was so excited to find the Mezzetta Italian Castelvetrano green olives in a jar when I went to select this year’s Thanksgiving olives. Not having to worry about the mess of transporting olives in a leaky container and making sure they stay fresh for the holidays is a lifesaver! I travel to my family’s farm each year, and the less perishables I have to take with me the better. These Mezzetta Italian castelvetrano green olives pair with flavors of the Mediterranean including red bell pepper, red onion and oregano for a delicious Mediterranean Stuffed Chicken. If you can tolerate dairy, I know a little fresh feta would be amazing in the Mediterranean Stuffed Chicken!
What are your favorite holiday memories?
- 1 tbls ghee, divided
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup Mezzetta Italian Castelvetrano green olives, pitted and diced
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 3 chicken cutlets, about 1 1/4 lbs
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Melt 1/2 tablespoon ghee in a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Toss in bell pepper and onion and cook until vegetable have softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in castelvetrano green olives and oregano and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Season both sides of the chicken cutlets with salt and pepper.
- Add in 3 tablespoons of the olive mixture to each cutlet.
- Starting with the thick side of the cutlet, roll until you come all the way around and secure chicken roll with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining 2 cutlets.
- In the same skillet, melt remaining 1/2 tablespoon of ghee over medium
- Place cutlets with seam side down and sear for 2-3 minutes, until chicken releases easily from the pan. Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Place in the oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cook slightly.
- To serve, cut at a diagonal if desired.