So this is traditional stuffing in the sense that it is my mom’s recipe, but this is technically dressing because I don’t cook it in my turkey. I just can’t bring myself to call it dressing because that is what you put on a salad. Stuffing is stuffing to me wether it is cooked in the bird or by itself.
When I did my first Paleo Thanksgiving two-years ago, I searched high and low for a stuffing recipe but none were what I was looking for. The meat centered stuffings looked delicious but I was craving bready deliciousness. I don’t really crave bread anymore but I crave stuffing. My mom’s stuffing centered on Italian croutons soaked in butter with celery and onions. I ditched the traditional gluten croutons and made my own but kept all the butter!
I did not create the bread recipe myself and feel free to use your favorite grain-free bread recipe that fits in a 7.5 x 3.5 loaf pan! You can even make the bread a day or two in advance and let it “stale” a bit. This makes for a crunchier crouton and cuts down on Thanksgiving day cooking!
*You can use your favorite grain-free bread option that fits in a 7.5 x 3.5 loaf pan!
- Elena’s Pantry bread *
- 2 tbls grass-fed butter or ghee, melted
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 5 tbls grass-fed butter or ghee
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups organic chicken stock
- Cook bread according to directions.
- After it cooks let it cool, slice and cut into 1-inch squares.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss bread cubes with butter or ghee, poultry seasoning and sea salt.
- Cook croutons for 10 minutes, but keep an eye on it to prevent burning.
- Remove from oven, let cool and turn oven down to 3e0 degrees.
- In a large flat bottom skillet, melt 5 tablespoons butter or ghee.
- Add in celery and onions and cook 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Remove from heat and toss in croutons.
- Pour in chicken stock and mix lightly.
- Place stuffing mix into a greased 9x13 baking dish and cook for 30 minutes.
You do not want to make your croutons too small or they will dissolve when the stock is added! For a vegetarian option, you can substitute vegetable stock for the chicken stock.