When I was little I hated oatmeal. The gooey nondescript texture paired with the strange light brown color never appealed to me. While I wasn’t chowing down on liquid oatmeal, I did love oatmeal raisin cookies. There were always plenty of oatmeal cookies left on any cookie tray because once one kid figured out they weren’t chocolate chip suddenly they become undesirable number 1. Even better were Little Debbie Oatmeal Cookie Cream Pies! I had a very unhealthy addiction to lots of Little Debbie treats. Sophomore year of high school I ate chocolate covered donut holes every day as a snack! Gross.
While I’ve gotten my Little Debbie addiction under control, I still crave oatmeal cookies every once in a while. I’m not a big baker but still wanted to get the oatmeal cookie flavor so I thought why not make it in a shake! This shake gets the nutty oatmeal flavor from the flaxseeds, and it’s sweetness from the raisins. Each sip brings me back to my childhood love without giving me the sugar rush.
- 1 cup almond milk, homemade
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup unsweetened raisins
- 2 tbls flax seeds or meal
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 frozen banana, in chunks
- Mix all ingredients in blender until smooth.
- Top with extra shredded coconut, raisins and a dash of cinnamon.