I can’t believe it is already Thursday. This week is almost over, and I need to go grocery shopping big time! I’m planning a full recipe testing weekend and have a list to feed a small country. Not really but it does seem like a lot of food. Thank goodness for my family, who doesn’t mind being my Guinea pigs! When I lived in LA, it was just me, but now I have lots of taste testers. Most of the time it is awesome, but it also means trying to cater tons of different palate and preferences.
Who remembers Popeye? Growing up Popeye’s obsession with spinach completely disgusted me. Granted he was eating the canned wilted kind, but I just didn’t understand it. I’m not sure when my tastebuds changed but now I love spinach. Specifically baby spinach. I put it into tons of my dishes because it is nutrient dense, and I love the added flavor. This salad is a play on one my mom used to make every Easter. I added in bacon and avocado to make a cobb salad and give it a more nutty flavor to balance the tart dressing.
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 10 large strawberries, stems removed and sliced
- 4 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced (approximately 3 tbls)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra light olive oil
- 1/4 red onion, minced
- 1 tbls dijon mustard
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- In a blender, mix all dressing ingredients, except the poppy seeds, together until frothy. Stir in poppy seeds.
- In a large bowl, toss together spinach, strawberries, bacon and avocado. Drizzle with dressing.