I’m back from New Orleans. It was such an amazing experience. I sampled the local cuisine aka beignets from Cafe Du Monde and even attended a St. Patrick’s Day parade with floats and bead throwing. While I’d never been to New Orleans before, you could tell the city is having a resurgence. With Mardi Gras crowds dissipating, there are still plenty of people out and about.
- 1 cup sweet potato, large diced
- 1 cup butternut squash, large diced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 12 bacon slices
- 6 large jalapeños
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Boil a couple cups of water in a sauce pot with sweet potato and butternut squash for about 10 minutes or until fork tender.
- Add in paprika, garlic, salt and pepper. Puree with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Cut jalapeños in half lengthwise and deseed. Scoop mash into jalapeño cavities until very full.
- Wrap each jalapeño half with a slice of bacon.
- Try to connect the end back onto the slice of bacon. This will seal in the filling. If you have trouble doing this you can use toothpicks to keep the bacon in place!
- Place onto a lined-baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes until bacon is crispy.