So I guess winter is sticking around after all. Don’t worry I have an official countdown to spring. Only 31 days to go. So close yet so far away. I got a little winter relief with a short vacation to the gulf. Texas beaches don’t really compare to California, but the weather was nice so nice! I needed a sunshine break from the grey gloom. I must be on a weird Texas kick because I will be returning to the state in three days for my first trip to Austin! I’d love any suggestions of what to do or where to eat. I’ve heard the city is amazing and can’t wait to check it out!
For those of you still braving the winter, especially in the Northeast, this recipe is for you! I love chili, and it was pretty much my go-to cold weather meal pre-paleo. I used lots of beans and store bought chili spice mix. I was reluctant to try no-bean chili believing it just couldn’t be the same. Thankfully my worries were completely unnecessary. This sweet pepper chili doesn’t leave me wanting anything. I don’t miss the beans at all!
- 1 1/2 lbs grass-fed ground beef
- 1 tbls ghee
- 1/2 large sweet onion, diced
- 9 small sweet peppers, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup strong brew coffee
- 2 tbls chili powder
- 2 tbls cumin
- 2 tbls flavor god garlic lovers*
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbls garlic powder
- 1/2 tbls onion powder
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp paprika
- In an extra large pot, melt ghee over medium-high heat.
- Sauté onion and sweet peppers until onions are translucent.
- Add ground beef and garlic to pot and brown about 7-10 minutes.
- Pour in tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, coffee and spices.
- Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 1-2 hours.
- Top with optional avocado cream, recipe here.
- Serves 6-8.