Valentine’s Day is one day away people! If you have someone special, I hope you already made plans. I’ll be spending the day eating chocolate, drinking wine and thinking about how much I miss the beach. My one true love. Well I’m actually at the beach in Texas but it is not the same as California beaches. Mainly because 60 degree weather is a tease. Warm enough to wear a dress but not warm enough to lay out. Now I don’t love frying my skin (anymore), but I love the warmth on my skin. I love laying out and reading a good book outside instead of indoors. Oh well only a couple more months until summer!
If you really want to impress your significant other, there is no better way than breakfast in bed. A nice surprise would be to make this the day after Valentine’s to show you can make a grand gesture on the other 364 days in the year. Well and it is a Saturday so you have more time in the kitchen. I love making breakfast, but normally reserve my big breakfasts for the weekend. I have more time to sit down and truly enjoy the meal I made for myself. This pancake stack is inspired by my old favorite IHOP breakfast treat, strawberry stuffed french toast. I didn’t want to make bread and then stuff it, so I thought why not layer pancakes. It turned out better than I could have imagined!
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tbls strawberry mash, recipe below
- 1 Tbls honey
- 2 tsp warm water
- coconut oil for frying
- 1 cup strawberries, quartered
- 1 tbls water
- 1/2 tbls honey
- 1/3 cup cashew butter
- 3 tbls full-fat canned coconut milk
- 2 tbls palm shortening
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tbls honey
- pinch of sea salt
- In a small sauce pot over medium heat, cook the strawberries and water.
- Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Using a wooden spoon, mash strawberries and continue cooking for 5 more minutes.
- Mash again until all strawberries are broken down. Let mixture cool.
- Mix all ingredients together with your immersion blender or a regular blender until smooth. I used this immersion blender, which also has a whisk attachment I use later.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the almond flour, baking soda & salt.
- In 2 different bowls, separate the eggs whites from the yolks. Set the egg whites aside.
- Blend together the egg yolks, cooled strawberry mash, honey and water.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry and mix well.
- Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they have medium soft peaks.
- Gently fold into the pancake mixture until well combined.
- Pre-heat your griddle over medium heat. You want to make sure the pan is not too hot, or it will burn the pancakes.
- Add approximately 3 tablespoons of batter to the pan and smooth into a circle with a spatula. The batter is a little stiff and won’t spread like typical batter.
- Cook pancakes until bubbles start to form and pop on the edges working their way into the middle.
- Using a flexible spatula, flip pancakes and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Start with a pancake on the bottom, dollop of remaining strawberry mash, pancake, large dollop of cream cheese, pancake, strawberry mash, pancake, cream cheese. Ok you get the idea.
- Drizzle any remaining cream cheese on top. Present to significant other!
- Makes 8 pancakes.