My whole idea of eating red meat in small portions basically went out the window when I visited my family. They are all big steak fans and always gave me a hard time when I decided to stop eating red meat. Now that I am eating steak again, they were more than a little excited to overload me with all the red meat I had been missing over the last five years. We cooked two types of burgers, flank steak and more steak. Needless to say I got my fill of red meat for awhile.
One of my favorite meals growing up was flank steak. Unfortunately my family’s recipe was doused with canola oil and soy sauce. I updated the recipe and won over my family! Some even went as far to say it was better than the original.
Favorite Flank Steak: Paleo-Style
- 1 1/3 lbs flank steak
- 1/4 cup coconut amions
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 rice vinegar
- 2 tsps paleo worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- Mix all marinade ingredients together.
- Place steak and marinade in large one gallon bag or large storage container.
- Put in fridge and let sit for at least 2 hours but longer the better. Make sure the steak is fully submerged in the marinade to get the best flavor.
- When you are ready to start cooking, pull marinated steak from fridge and let come to room temperature for approximately 15-30 minutes.
- Heat grill to medium-high and place steak on grill and cook with the lid down for 4-6 minutes on each side.
- Since flank steak is very thin, it is best eaten cooked medium-rare.
- Remove steak from grill, tent with aluminum foil and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut steak against the grain in thin diagonal slices and serve!