Growing up my mom’s key lime pie was one of my absolute favorite deserts. The creamy combination of sour and sweet hit the spot every time! I wanted to create my mom’s pie but put my own spin on it, so I decided to create this Paleo and Vegan Key Lime Pie Dip. If you know me, you know I love dips! In my opinion, dips are a great way to combine some of your favorite foods or flavor combinations into a tasty bite. I served this vegan key lime pie with fresh strawberries and gluten-free graham crackers. I also think this key lime pie dip would be great with banana slices and other fruits.
This last weekend I headed to Iowa for the annual Sweet Corn Festival. Woah- yes I know corn isn’t paleo. I plan to write a post more on that later. Anyways, after a very long car ride, we arrived to the tiny town where my boyfriend grew up. The next day we ventured out to the corn festival that draws more than 15,000 people to the town of only 3,000 each year! The line for sweet corn was so long, so we headed into the local watering hole for a beverage while we waited for the crowds to decline. Finally after about an hour the line was down to nearly no-one, and I couldn’t wait to bite into the infamous Iowa sweet corn. OMG. This corn was so good! It was sweet and juicy. Taking a poll, would you judge me if I shared a recipe using corn? I think I’m going to do it because I eat corn sometimes, and I love it. I think I’m going to do it, and just weather any backlash from the paleo police.
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup coconut cream, popped into the fridge overnight
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 tbls lime zest
- Fresh strawberries and gluten-free graham crackers, for serving
- In a small sauce pot over medium heat, cook entire contents of first can of coconut cream and maple syrup until boiling.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 35-40 minutes stirring occasionally.
- The mixture should reduce to slightly more than one cup. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Scoop separated coconut cream from the second can of coconut cream into a medium bowl.
- Whip coconut cream with a hand mixer until soft peaks almost form.
- Fold in cooled sweetened condensed coconut cream, lime juice and lime zest.
- Serve with strawberries or gluten-free graham crackers.