A few weeks ago, I had this amazing creamy pesto pasta dish with gluten-free noodles at a restaurant in Denver. It was so tasty! I was actually bummed that I had to leave my leftovers to my boyfriend since I was heading back to Arizona that night. I couldn’t get this dish out of my mind and knew I needed to make an at-home version asap! This paleo creamy pesto pasta is made completely without dairy too. Soaked cashews make up the “cream” sauce that mixes with traditional pesto flavors then topped with crispy prosciutto slices, sweet sun-dried tomatoes and meaty mini portobello mushrooms. Together all the ingredient flavors perfect combine for a filling and delicious paleo pasta! If you don’t have a spiralizer, this creamy pesto pasta would also be amazing with brown rice spaghetti noodles if you eat rice.
I know I keep saying this, but I have been traveling a lot! This past weekend I was in Dallas, Texas for an annual girls weekend. It started a few years ago when we were all bridesmaids in the same wedding. Since then every April, we have been meeting up in Texas. Many find that Texas is a surprising food mecca. As a native Oklahoman, I am fairly familiar with Texas cuisine especially in Dallas and Austin. When I moved back to the Midwest after Los Angeles, I actually thought about moving to Texas. Back to girls weekend. We rented an amazing three-story brownstone in the Uptown District, which was in walking distance to so many good food places. We checked out The Theodore and State & Allen for brunch. Both were super tasty! Also I am now determined to make the perfect Bloody Mary. Maybe for the blog?? It is almost paleo, right?
- 1/2 cup raw cashews + 1/2 cup clean water
- 1 cup packed basil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 prosciutto slices
- 1 cup mini bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 sundries tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1lb white sweet potato, peeled and spiralized with medium blade
- Boil cashews for 30 minutes in 3 cups of water.
- Once the cashews are done cooking, strain and rinse under cold water.
- Place into a blender with 1/2 cup of water and mix until well combined.
- Add in basil, garlic, salt, pepper and mix until smooth.
- In a large skillet crisp prosciutto for about minute on each side then remove and tear into bite-sized pieces.
- Add in shallot and cook for about a minute until it becomes translucent.
- Dump mushrooms into the skillet, and cook for 3-5 minutes until softened.
- Add in sweet potato noodles, cover and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in creamy pesto sauce, prosciutto and sundries tomatoes. Toss and cook for another minutes.