A year ago, I got my first taste of mini hasselback potatoes during a very special Valentine’s Day dinner. This year I recreated these mini hasselback potatoes with herb butter paired with my cast-iron steak. This dinner holds a very special place in my heart and recreating it took me right back to the moment when I knew I was falling for my boyfriend. I don’t talk about him much on here because I like to keep some things to myself, but he inspires me to keep doing what I love, which is sharing recipes on Plaid and Paleo! My blog is my create outlet. The process of coming up with new flavor combinations and recipes creates endless possibilities!
I spent this past weekend in Vegas going on a pretty much all out bender. While I did not eat 100% paleo, I did try to eat gluten-free as much as possible. I am not paleo perfect by any means and I hope I can be honest with that here. When I’m at home I eat fairly strict paleo, but my favorite non-paleo indulgences are organic popcorn, organic tortilla chips with salsa and hummus! These are foods I loved pre-paleo! After eating paleo for 4 years, I was comfortable reintroducing them to my diet. In this recipe, I used white potatoes, which I also occasionally eat when I need more carbs. Yes these are white potatoes. No they are not strict paleo. Yes they are whole30. I cannot stress enough that paleo is not a rigid set of rules. It is more guidelines. You have to do what is best for yourself. You have to trust your body and what does or does not work for yourself. Don’t worry about what is or is not paleo!
- 1.5 sounds baby yellow potatoes
- 2 tbls olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Herb Compote Butter, for serving.
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut 5-6 slits into each potato about 1/4 inch apart but not all the way through. I used a pair of wooden chopsticks placed on each side of the potato to stop my knife about 1/4 inch above the bottom.
- Place potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet and gently fan out the sliced pieces.
- Drizzle with olive oil then sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
- Cook in the oven for 45 minutes.
- While still hot, top with herb compote butter and serve.