After another whirlwind weekend trip, I have been craving the comforts of a home-cooked meal. This Paleo Bacon Chicken Pasta combines crispy bacon, chicken, and sauteed mushrooms in a creamy sauce tossed with spaghetti squash noodles that won’t leave you missing traditional pasta at all! I fashioned this Paleo Bacon Chicken Pasta after traditional spaghetti carbonara with a few changes. Ever since my trip to Italy a few summers ago, I have been craving Italian pasta. Pasta was one of the hard things for me to give up when I went paleo. I lived off of noodle in college and into my early 20s. Then along came spaghetti squash. Until I went paleo, I had never eater spaghetti squash. I don’t even think I knew what it was. Now I am obsessed with spaghetti squash and using it as a pasta replacement. Some of my favorite spaghetti squash recipes include my Enchilada Pasta Bake, Cajun Chicken Pasta and Chicken Parmesan Casserole.
So a little recap of my weekend slash life lately. I have been traveling a lot lately or hosting someone in town pretty much every other weekend. Eating paleo is HARD when you are not home as much as usual. I am going to be honest and say I’ve been pretty bad lately. Mainly with cheese. Cheese has always been one of my stress eating vices along with sweets of every kind. I find myself ordering queso or not asking for no cheese on my salad. I’m not perfect, and I always want to make that perfectly clear. I am going to start saying no to cheese again. I am slightly lactose-intolerant, and it makes me breakout… Gross I know! In the end, the cheese isn’t worth the hassle. What is one food you find it hardest to not eat on paleo?
- 2 lb spaghetti squash
- 5 slices bacon
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut cream from the top of the can
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbls bacon grease
- 1/2 cup shallot, diced
- 1 lb chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut spaghetti squash width-wise and place flesh side down on a cookie sheet. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until flesh is easily poked with a fork.
- With 15 minutes remaining on the spaghetti squash, place bacon into oven on a lined-baking sheet for 12 minutes or until crispy.
- While the squash and bacon are cooking, whisk eggs, coconut cream, salt and pepper until frothy in a large bowl.
- In melt bacon grease into medium skillet, then add shallots and cook for 1-2 minutes or until translucent.
- Add in chicken and cook for 5-7 time.
- Stir in mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until softened
- Once spaghetti squash and bacon are done, make spaghetti squash into strands by running a fork along the flesh. Dice bacon into tiny pieces.
- Add spaghetti squash noodles to the skillet then pour cream sauce over and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Mix in diced bacon and serve.